Charles in Charge is an American sitcom series which stars Scott Baio as Charles, a 19-year-old student at the fictional Copeland College in New Jersey, who worked as a live-in babysitter in exchange for room and board. Baio directed many episodes of the show, and is credited with his full name, Scott Vincent Baio.
It was first broadcast on CBS from October 3, 1984 to April 3, 1985, when it was canceled due to a struggle in the Nielsen ratings. It then had a more successful first-run syndication run from January 3, 1987 to December 22, 1990. 126 original episodes were aired in total. The show was produced by Al Burton Productions and Scholastic Productions in association with Universal Television.
The series was known by the following names.
- Charles in Charge in the United States, Germany and The Netherlands
- Charles s'en Charge in France, where it first aired on January 27, 1992
- Charles is Basinda in Turkey
- Baby Sitter in Italy
- Чарльз в ответе (Charles v Otvete) in Russia
- Charles je Glavni in Slovenia.
During its first-run syndication, Charles in Charge aired on the following stations.
- KUTV / Channel 2 - Salt Lake City, Utah
- XETV / Channel 6 - San Diego, California
- KOLO-TV / Channel 8 - Reno, Nevada
- KCAL-TV / Channel 9 - Los Angeles, California
- WTEN / Channel 10 - Albany, New York
- KSTW / Channel 11 - Seattle, Washington
- WPIX / Channel 11 - New York, New York
- WZTV / Channel 17 - Nashville, Tennessee
- KRLR / Channel 21 - Las Vegas, Nevada
- WPTY-TV / Channel 24 - Memphis, Tennessee
- WGNT / Channel 27 - Norfolk, Virginia
- KAYU-TV / Channel 28 - Spokane, Washington
- KMAX-TV / Channel 31 - Sacramento, California
- WRLH / Channel 35 - Richmond, Virginia
- WEMT / Channel 39 - Bristol, Virginia
- WPMT / Channel 43 - Harrisburg, Pennsylvania
- WGCL-TV|WGNX / Channel 46 - Atlanta, Georgia
- WLVI / Channel 56 - Boston, Massachusetts
- WGBS / Channel 57 - Philadelphia, Pennsylvania